Total Pageviews

May 27, 2013

Today we celebrate:

Sun Screen Day – This is a day to raise awareness of the importance of wearing sunscreen to protect your skin. It's also important to remember that you don't have to see the sun in order to be burned by the sun. I've gotten my worse sunburns on cloudy days because those are the days you don't even think about needing sunscreen. Protect your skin and you will be less likely to get a melanoma.

Memorial Day – Celebrated on the last Monday in May, this is a United States Federal Holiday and is a day for remembering the men and women who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces. It was originally known as Decoration Day, as I mentioned two days ago, and celebrations began shortly after the Civil War to commemorate both Union and Confederate soldiers who died in that war. It has since been extended to honor all Americans who died in all of the wars we have been involved in. Veteran's grave stones or crosses are typically decorated for this day with an American flag and sometimes with wreaths and flowers as well.

Cellophane Tape Day – On this day in 1930, Richard Drew of the 3M company, received a patent for his invention of cellophane tape, also known as Scotch Tape or Invisible Tape or just Tape. I have a whole lot of this stuff in my house because I went a little crazy one day at BJ's and I will probably never have to buy it again. See if you can find a new way of using it today besides the tried and true old present wrapping standby. Just the other day I amazed my teenager by using cellophane tape to remove lint from her black shirt. I don't know what shocked her more; that it worked, or that I knew something she didn't know.

To celebrate today, put on some sunscreen and go watch a Memorial Day Parade that is undoubtedly happening in your area. When you get home, get out the tape and challenge the kids to figure out 10 new things they can do with it. Just don't get mad at them later if they tape something you didn't want taped.

No comments:

Post a Comment