Total Pageviews

April 20, 2017

Today we celebrate:


National Cheddar Fries Day - Golden french fries topped with delicious melted cheddar cheese. Who wouldn’t love these delectable fried morsels? I do, and I can’t even eat cheese!

International Pizza Cake Day - Wow! I actually know what this is! And I’ve done it! I admit that it took me a minute. Pizza cake? What the heck is pizza cake? Then it hit me...cake that looks like pizza. I made some of these for my daughter’s birthday years ago. I wish I could find a picture to share with you...but that was back before digital cameras existed in my universe and who has time to page through piles of pictures. But this is a day to make a delicious cake that looks like a pizza. It is celebrated on the third Thursday of April.

National Pineapple Upside-down Cake Day – This is a fun cake to make but somehow I never manage to make it without it breaking somehow when I flip it over to get it out of the pan. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Look Alike Day – Did you know that you look just like Jennifer Lopez? Really, I swear! I think everyone looks like someone else. I found someone in Texas years ago that looked just like my sister. No one else thought so, but I’m telling you, she really did!

Lima Bean Respect Day - People have been eating lima beans for the last 8,000 or so years. I’m not a fan but my husband loves them and they are really healthy for you so maybe I should give them another chance. Scientists are even studying them in cancer research because they contain something that seems to inhibit the growth of cancer cells.

Volunteer Recognition Day – This is a day to honor the thousands and thousands of volunteers who spend so much of their time helping others in a myriad of ways every day. They go out of their way with no financial incentive for their work whether they are building houses, walking dogs, delivering meals, or any other of the endless ways there are to volunteer.

UN Chinese Language Day - This is one of the major languages used by the members of the United Nations. It is celebrated today because this is the day the Chinese honor Cang Jie. Legend has it that Cang Jie created the Chinese characters around 5,000 years ago and when he did, the Gods and ghosts cried and it came down as millet instead of rain.

Get To Know Your Customers Day – We had this day in January and you will see it again twice more this year because it is celebrated on the third Thursday of every quarter as a reminder to business owners about how important it is to know who your customers are and what their needs might be. Have a long conversation with your customers or take a customer out to lunch or dinner in order to get to know their needs so that you can better figure out how your business can meet those needs.

National Ask An Atheist Day – Celebrated on the third Thursday of April, this is a day to ask an atheist anything you want about their beliefs, or rather, unbeliefs. They don't wish to be yelled at or chastised or converted, but most will gladly participate in a civilized discussion.

National High Five Day – Celebrated on the third Thursday in April, this is a day for saving lives. This year the the High Five people are working to promote awareness of the effects that cancer has on everyone whether they are diagnosed with it or not. The event is similar in spirit to a dance-a-thon or a running event, but easier because this is a day for giving high fives to strangers all day long.

National D.A.R.E. Day – Every year, the President of the United States designates a day, usually on the third Thursday of April, to be a National D.A.R.E. Day. D.A.R.E. stands for Drug Abuse Resistance Education and it involves police officers educating kids in school about the hazards of drugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment