Total Pageviews

March 14, 2014

Today we celebrate:

Learn About Butterflies Day – Did you know there is a butterfly called the Question Mark Butterfly? This was new information for me. It's also true that the vast majority of butterflies live in the tropics and who can blame them. We get snowflakes big enough to knock a butterfly out of the sky here where I live. For more butterfly information see this page: http://www.butterflyfunfacts.com/

National Pi Day – Pi (the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter) is a very special number that begins with 3.14159 and continues into infinity without repetition or a pattern of any kind. It has been calculated to one trillion numbers after it's decimal point and I think that whoever did that had lots of time on his/her hands. http://www.piday.org/

National Save A Spider Day – No, I don't think so. Today we are supposed to appreciate the strength and predatory skills of the spider. We are supposed to admire them and save them from the certain death they will experience if they are found in my house. I'll admire them all right, just as long as they stay outside and away from me. My daughter loves spiders and constantly reminds me that they are useful because they eat bugs, which I do appreciate. Really. Outside.

National Potato Chip Day – This is a day to indulge in your favorite, potato chip.  Whether you like flavored chips or plain old salty ones, pick your poison and chow down.

International Ask A Question Day – Celebrated on Albert Einstein's birthday, today is a day to ask all the questions that have been puzzling your mind. “Question everything,” is something that Mr. Einstein was quoted as saying and it is how he lived his life. http://www.questionday.com/


To celebrate today, ask a spider a question about whether butterflies are tasty. I bet it will know the answer. Then, eat potato chips while you spend the rest of the day seeing how many numbers past the decimal you can calculate pi to using paper and pencil. You might need a whole ream of paper so be prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment