Total Pageviews

May 27, 2015

Today we celebrate:

Sunscreen Day – This is a day to raise awareness of the importance of wearing sunscreen to protect your skin. It's also important to remember that you don't have to see the sun in order to be burned by the sun. I've gotten the worst sunburns of my life on cloudy days because those are the days you don't even think about needing sunscreen. Protect your skin and you will be less likely to get a melanoma.

Cellophane Tape Day – On this day in 1930, Richard Drew of the 3M company, received a patent for his invention of cellophane tape, also known as Scotch Tape or Invisible Tape or just Tape. I used to have a whole bunch of the stuff in my house after a trip to Costco two years ago.  I figured I would never have to buy more in my lifetime, but I didn’t factor my children into that equation. Now I’m constantly searching the house for whatever scraps remain.  I don’t want to buy more because I know I must have more somewhere here.  The kids couldn’t possibly have used all of it….could they?  Assuming you don’t have my problem, see if you can find a new way of using it today besides the tried and true old present wrapping standby. Last year I amazed my teenager by using cellophane tape to remove lint from her black shirt. I don't know what shocked her more; that it worked, or that I knew something she didn't know.

National Senior Health & Fitness Day – This day has been celebrated every year since 1993 with a goal of keeping older Americans healthy and fit. It is always celebrated on the last Wednesday in May and you will find events happening all over the world. The theme for this year is: “If You Keep Moving….You’ll Keep Improving!”

World MS Day – This day is celebrated on the last Wednesday of May every year.  Multiple Sclerosis is a neurological disorder that affects approximately 2 million people worldwide. It usually shows up in young adults so most people are diagnosed between the ages of 25 and 31. More women than men are affected. There is no cure and no one knows what causes it. The type and severity of the symptoms vary widely from person to person but can include weakness of limbs, dizziness, fatigue, tingling sensations, and vision disruptions among many other things. Sometimes patients can be in remission and be symptom free for days to even years and then it will relapse. Others never get a period of remission. Some can live a reasonably healthy life for many years and others become severely debilitated very quickly and do not live long at all. There is no predicting the course of the disease in anyone. Find out more here, and here.

To celebrate today, tape bottles of sunscreen to every door so you and your family members remember to put some on before you go outside.  Then head to a senior center and encourage them to keep moving before you go to the doctor’s office to get checked for MS.

No comments:

Post a Comment