Total Pageviews

October 10, 2015

Today we celebrate a whole lot of special things so I sure hope you have some help:

National Tuxedo Day - This is a day to celebrate the tuxedo.  Styles and fashions have changed a great deal over the years but the tuxedo for special formal occasions, like proms and weddings, has remained a standard.

Hug a Drummer Day - All the best musical groups out there have a drummer.  I think it’s probably even fair to say that The Beatles wouldn’t have been The Beatles without their drummer.  So find a drummer and give him/her a hug today.

International Newspaper Carrier Day - I’m not sure what we would do for news if it weren’t for our Newspaper Carriers who bring the newspaper right to our houses every day.  

International Stage Management Day - I have met a couple of professional stage managers, and I know another future stage manager who I’m sure will be fantastic. The fact is that stage managers are absolutely vital to the performances that happen every day all over the world on stage or on television or in movies. Without someone to coordinate everything that is going on in all the different aspects involved in putting on any kind of production, nothing would happen smoothly. A really good stage manager makes the backstage shenanigans invisible to the audience.

National Costume Swap Day - Also celebrated on the second Saturday in October, this is a day to get some extra life out of an outfit that you usually only use once.  Your Halloween costume.  Instead of tossing it into the attic, swap it with someone else.  So someone can use yours and you can use a different costume without spending any more money.

National Handbag Day - OK, may I just say that many women are a little obsessed with handbags?  I am not one of them.  I only have three.  One I use every day until it falls apart and I am forced to get another one, and two that I have for special occasions and I use one of them once a year and the other one never because it is red and I never wear anything that goes with it.  However, I recognize that I am unusual in this matter.  I have friends who spend a great deal of money on handbags and have quite a few of them.  I spend very little on my handbags because they are there for a purpose.  To carry my junk.  Not to be an ornament.  So this is not a day for me.  This is a day for people who coordinate their handbags with their outfits, and change them frequently.

National Cake Decorating Day - Now this is a passion of mine.  Not because I am particularly good at it, but because I like to do things that aren’t usually done.  I ask my kids every year what they would like their cake to be and I do my best to make it look like that as much as possible. I took a few cake decorating classes a number of years ago but I don’t like to do flowers and basket weaves and such.  I like to make barns and grass and animals.  I even made cakes that looked like pizzas once.  So try something new today when you decorate your cake.  Like this one I did a few years ago for my children, Lily and Zach. Of course, odd things sometimes happen, I had just finished a beautiful farm scene when out of nowhere this car drives up the hill and launches itself into the roof of the barn. And to top it all off, by the time I had a moment to think about calling the police, all the evidence had disappeared.

National Metric Day - This day was originally celebrated on May 10th, but that was too close to the end of the school year for many schools so it was changed to today. The tenth of the month was selected because 10 is the base of the entire metric system.  So no other number made sense. This day was begun by the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics in 1976 which was the year after the metric Conversion Act of 1975.

Powers of Ten Day - This day was inspired by the Powers of Ten film by Charles and Ray Eames.  It’s a nine minute movie that takes the viewer from a picnic out into space and all the way back down to a carbon atom in the hand of a man.  Every ten seconds, the view is ten times further away or closer when it goes the other way.  It is on display at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum.  So this is a day to expand the boundaries of the way you think and cross over from cosmic to miniscule, from geography to mathematics, from science to languages.  There is no limit, and everything is connected.

World Homeless Day - There are countless numbers of homeless people in our world.  It is a sad situation that normal everyday people like me don’t know what to do about.  I see them sometimes but there are so many, I know I can’t help them.  I can barely pay my own bills sometimes. But the thing is, if everyone helps a little bit, together we can make a difference.  The entire community needs to get involved.

World Hospice and Palliative Care Day - Celebrated on the second Saturday of October, this is a day to celebrate and give support to hospice and palliative care around the world.  It is a fact of life that eventually everyone will die when it is their time.  So we need to be able to help them when the end is near and they need the most care. Sometimes more care than the family members can provide.  Hospice and Palliative Care organizations help so that we don’t suffer any more than necessary.  They help when we don’t know what to do. 

Universal Music DayCelebrated annually for seven years, this is a day to teach people about how important music is for your life. It can inspire and encourage you when you need it and it can ignite your emotions and make you cry or laugh. It can ignite your patriotic spirit or ease your grief over a loved one's passing. Music has power that we don't often think about. See how you feel about it today on the second Saturday in October.

National Family Bowling Day (or Kids Bowl Free Day) – This is is a fun day that you can spend bowling with your family. Some bowling alleys may even have free bowling for kids today as an extra incentive. It's an affordable activity that you can do as a family and most kids really enjoy it. This is a second Saturday in October day.

National Angel Food Cake Day – Light and airy, this is delicious with strawberries and whipped cream.

Naval Academy Founder’s Day – On this day in 1845, the Naval School (later known as the United States Naval Academy) opened in Maryland with 50 students and 7 professors.  It’s a little bit bigger these days with 4,536 students as of 2012 and a faculty of somewhere around 600 professors.

World Mental Health Day – The World Health Organization celebrates this day that was created by the World Federation of Mental Health. The purpose is to raise awareness of mental health issues around the world and help those who need it to find help for their issues.  Let’s be real here, I think we all have mental health issues at some point in our lives. Some of us just have more issues than others.  At least that’s my perception, but I guess you could say that I have some issues.  

World Porridge Day – This is a day that started in Scotland and has spread throughout the world as an effort to feed hungry children in poor countries. Porridge is a traditional dish in Scotland and it is easy to make for large groups of hungry people so Mary's Meals (a Scottish-based charity) has been working hard to use it to feed people all around the world.

Squid Day/ Cuttlefish Day – On this cephalopod day, we focus on the exciting squids and cuttlefish. Did you know there is a giant squid that lives in the deepest parts of the oceans? I'm not sure why it used to come up and attack the sailing ships of 3 or 4 hundred years ago and not the ships of today, but we'll count our blessings because those things are huge.  Maybe there were more of them then and they had more competition for food or maybe it had something to do with the size or shape of the ships.  Maybe they used to look more like food back then. These are purely my speculations because I am curious about such things.

To celebrate today, read your newspaper and then put on a tuxedo costume that you swapped with a friend, and stage manage your household while you have some porridge for breakfast so that you can leave in an orderly manner to go to the Naval Academy to have some decorated Angel Food Cake.  Don’t forget your handbag.  On the way back, find a band so that you can hug the drummer, and stop and discuss your mental health with the squids at an Aquarium museum. Then take the kids bowling while you enjoy some music at the bowling alley where you can try to explain the metric system, and power of ten to the kids. Tonight, research what you can do to help the homeless in your community and call the local Hospice center to thank them for all they do for grieving families.

No comments:

Post a Comment