Total Pageviews

July 10, 2016

Today we celebrate:

Barn Day - Celebrated on the second Sunday in July, this is a day to explore, photograph, appreciate barns. The older the better, in my opinion. Barns are a crucial building for farmers and ranchers. They store hay, animals, as well as farming and ranching paraphernalia of all kinds. Not only are they practical, but they are also beautiful, even the ones that are run down and falling apart. They are a part of our history and heritage and deserve to be recognized as such. The barn is a representation of the hard work and community spirit that has brought our civilization to where it is today.

Pick Blueberries Day - The blueberries are ripe and should be picked before the birds eat them all! Go to a local “pick your own blueberries” farm and bring plenty of buckets. I love blueberries so much, I can’t even describe my adoration to you. I always make sure I bring my youngest daughter with me for picking these berries, because she doesn’t like them so I know she won’t eat more than she puts in her bucket.

National Pina Colada Day – Coconut, pineapple and rum...a delicious combination. Indulge yourself with one of these today assuming you are at least 21 years old and don’t have to drive anywhere.

National Clerihew Day – Edmund Clerihew Bentley, born on this day in 1875, was a journalist and the author of a detective novel, Trent's Last Case. He is best known for a verse he created in a form that is now known as the Clerihew. It consists of two rhyming couplets of differing lengths:

Edmund's middle name was Clerihew
A name possessed by very few,
But verses by Mr. Bentley
Succeeded eminently.

Teddy Bears' Picnic Day – This is a day to have a picnic with your teddy bear. Feel free to borrow one from your kids but better yet, make this a family event and bring all the kids and all of their teddy bears. I bet even the older kids will enjoy a fun family day like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment