Total Pageviews

July 9, 2016

Today we celebrate:


National Sugar Cookie Day – I'm not a huge fan of these, they are a little too ordinary for me. I prefer something a little more unusual in my cookie. But my kids like them so I make them now and then.  And you can jazz them up with some interesting additions like Bourbon Persimmon Frosting.

Martyrdom of The Bab – On this day in 1850 in Persia, the Bab was executed at the age of 31 by the government who feared his rapidly increasing following. Members of the Baha'i Faith hold this day to be holy and talk about the miracles that happened on this day.

Fashion Day - This day is sketchy as far as I'm concerned. Clearly it's a day for fashion, but I found zero information about it. I don't know who created it, why we are supposed to celebrate it, or anything at all about it.

Call of the Horizon Day - Another day I don't know anything about, but this one has me curious. Some people look at a horizon and see possibilities. They want to know what is beyond it. This is how the frontiers of the world were discovered. By people who wanted to know what was beyond the horizon. We called them explorers back in the day. There aren't very many horizons left for us to explore on this world, which is why our explorers today are looking below the horizon in the oceans and above the horizon in space.


Wayne Chicken Day - Celebrated on the second Saturday in July, this is a special event held in Wayne, Nebraska. It was founded by the Wayne Regional Arts Council in 1981, and is run by the Wayne Area Chamber of Commerce. I know that there has been a recent scare because of the outbreak of bird flu among chickens, however, as you will see on the referenced website, the Nebraska Department of Agriculture has certified that their rubber and cement chickens are bird flu free so there is no risk to attending this highly entertaining event.  

No comments:

Post a Comment