Total Pageviews

October 25, 2016

Today we celebrate:

Simchat Torah - Following right after the festival of Sukkot, this is a day to celebrate the end of the annual cycle of public Torah readings.

Punk for a Day Day - This is a day to dress and act like a punk rocker. I’m sure you’ve always wanted to do that but never had the courage. Well, today is your day to give it a shot no matter how old you are.

World Pizza Makers Day - On this day in the year 2000, Pope John Paul II blessed 2,000 pizza makers at the Vatican general audience. There were pizza makers from all over the world and they made a special pizza for him that they called “Papizza.” It had mozzarella, zucchini flowers and yellow peppers and looked like the white and gold Vatican flag. Then they gave away 50,000 slices of the pizza to anyone who wanted one.

Chucky, The Notorious Killer Doll Day – I am not a horror movie fan, but I know that many of you are so you can celebrate this day without me. All I know about Chucky came from the little bits and pieces I have seen on advertisements and heard from people who felt the need to educate me. Then, while researching this day, I read a brief summary of all of the movies and that is all I needed to give me nightmares and make me get rid of all the dolls in my house. My daughters weren’t too happy about that but you have to do what you have to do in order to sleep at night.

International Artist Day – This is a day to support the artists of the world. There are so many different kinds of art and different kinds of artists that it is amazing to contemplate. It’s not all about paintings and sculptures that you find in museums. I recently learned of an artist that makes pictures by burning paper into different patterns. She does some beautiful work. Artists bring huge contributions to our society and not just in a visual way. What would we listen to if it were not for artists? The plain truth is that without art, this would be a very dull, quiet and colorless world. Do something to support an artist today.

Sourest Day – This is a day for sour people, sour candy, or sour food. It is supposed to emphasize the balance of nature. I don't particularly understand that thought, and too much sour food makes my tongue hurt, but my son really enjoys it so I guess he will enjoy celebrating today.

World Pasta Day – Celebrated since 1995, and created by the World Pasta Congress (who knew that there even WAS a World Pasta Congress?), this is a day to honor the creation of pasta way back in 5,000 B.C, give or take a few years. With over 600 different shapes and sizes, I think you should be able to find one you've never had before and give it a try. We had National Pasta Day just last week, but this is a day for the whole world to enjoy.


National Greasy Foods Day – We all try to eat healthy most of the time, I’m sure. That means eating lots of fruits and vegetables and lean proteins, cooked in healthy ways. Well, throw all of that out the window for today and load up on nothing but greasy food. You don't get to do this very often, so jump at the chance today. Fast food, here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment