Total Pageviews

January 12, 2015

Today we celebrate:

National Marzipan Day – Marzipan is used by pastry chefs to decorate cakes. I've never decorated with it but I'll have to give it a shot today.

National Pharmacist Day – Where would we be without Pharmacists? I have one in the family and I don't know what we would do without him. You can ask them anything at all about medications and if they don't know the answer off the top of their heads, they have it at their fingertips.  It’s never a bad idea to talk to your pharmacist to make sure you understand everything you need to know about the medication you have been prescribed and to make sure it won’t work against whatever else you are taking.

International Kiss A Ginger Day - Apparently there is a “Kick a Ginger Day” which I don’t think I knew about so I’ll have to find out more about it.  But Derek Forgie didn’t like the sentiment so he created this day in retaliation.  It is celebrated every year on this day and since I have a ginger in my family, I won’t have any problem celebrating, except that I’ll have to pin him down since he’s my teenaged son and will not cooperate willingly.  If you don’t have easy access to a ginger, I’ll loan him to you but you’ll have to be quick, he knows karate.

National Clean Off Your Desk Day – Celebrated on the second Monday in January, this is a day to clean off your desk. I know you've got stacks of important papers and not so important papers and assorted knicknacks and other such things that are there because you didn't know what to do with them. Well, today is the day to figure it out and clean it up.

Coming of Age Day – A holiday in Japan that is celebrated on the second Monday in January, this is a day to honor everyone who has reached the age of majority (20 years old according to the Japanese) in the past year. There are coming of age ceremonies and parties among family and friends. This has been celebrated in Japan since 714 AD but it became official in 1948.

To celebrate today, clean off your desk before you treat your neighborhood ginger pharmacist to a kiss and some marzipan decorated cake.  Then throw a coming of age party for the friends and family of someone you know who has come of age in the last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment