Total Pageviews

June 7, 2017

Today we celebrate:


National Chocolate Ice Cream Day – Any kind of ice cream is good ice cream, but an ice cream that has chocolate involved is a great ice cream. Ice cream is far older than I ever imagined. Apparently it's origins can be traced back to the 4th century B.C. I'm sure that what they made doesn't in any way resemble what we eat today, but it must have been pretty delicious for the basic concept to have endured for so long.

Daniel Boone Day – Supposedly, on this day in 1769, Daniel Boone saw the forests and valleys of what is now Kentucky for the first time. The Kentucky Historical Society has been celebrating this day for more than 100 years. If you haven't read about Daniel Boone's life, you should. He was a fascinating man. The kind of man that legends are made from. I’m not an English major but I do believe I ended that last sentence with a preposition which I think is a no-no. Feel free to correct me, I don’t mind.

VCR Day – We still have a working VCR because we still have some old VHS tapes that we watch now and then. For those of you who are too young to know, VCRs are the devices that brought movies into our homes. Prior to this ingenious invention, you had to go to the movie theater if you wanted to see a movie and seeing the same movie 100 times was really not a viable option. VCR's paved the way for the DVD players we have now. And yes, I have one of those too. I'm not so old that I don't embrace new technology....at least some of it.

National Running Day – Always on the first Wednesday in June, this is a day for runners all over the country to celebrate their passion. I am not a runner, I just want to make that clear. However, since it's not something that I do, I have great respect for those who can. Strap on those sneakers and get out there and run.

National Tailors Day – This is also celebrated on the first Wednesday of June. It is a day to be thankful for tailors. Most tailors these days are employed by stores that sell men's suits. You would be hard pressed to find one elsewhere, I think. But they do keep us looking well dressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment