Total Pageviews

January 1, 2013


Welcome to my very first blog.  Many people have suggested that I post the celebrations of the day here instead of just posting them to Facebook so I decided to give it a try and see how it goes.  Please let me know what you think, good or bad, so I can decide whether or not to keep this up.
 
Today, the first day of the year 2013, we celebrate a whole lot of crazy days:
There's New Year's Day, of course
New Year's Dishonor List Day...every year at this time Lake Superior State University in Michigan produces a list of overused words that should be stricken from the English Language.
National Bloody Mary Day...you might want to make yours non-alcoholic if you are not feeling too well today after your celebrations last night.
National First Foot Day...this was originally a Scottish tradition (or so I read) the first person to visit your home after the New Year begins is called the First Footer, and he/she must bring gifts. A lump of coal for good luck, a coin for happiness and wealth, and a drink of whiskey for the host.
Copyright Law Day
Ellis Island Day
Euro Day
Global Family Day...around the world this is a global day of peace and sharing. It is a day where we share food with friends and the needy and make personal pledges of nonviolence and spread a message of peace and sharing by ringing bells and/or beating drums in hopes of making society and the world a safer place to live.
Mummer's Parade...held every year in Philadelphia, PA...thought to be the oldest folk festival in America.
Polar Bear Plunge or Swim Day...for people who are just slightly insane (my own personal opinion).
Saint Basil's Day...one of the forefather's of the Greek Orthodox Church, known for his kindness and generosity.
Z Day...this is an odd holiday that my son, Zach, will enjoy as it involves letting people with a last name beginning with Z be first in line for the day.
Rose Bowl Game
Tournament of Roses Parade Day...we'll be watching, will you?
 
Now so you don't get scared off and think that everyday is as crazy as this one, let me tell you that some days we only celebrate one or two events and some days more.  I imagine there has to be at least a few days where there is nothing to celebrate, but I haven't encountered them yet so I'm not sure.  Some days I try to help you out with your celebration schedule and suggest ways you can consolidate or link together some of the celebrating such as going to Ellis Island to take part in your Polar Bear Plunge and have a Bloody Mary ready and waiting for you when you get out to get your blood flowing again.  However, on a day like today, I think that would be exceedingly difficult to accomplish that with all of the items on the list.  But I am always open to clean and fun suggestions
Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment