Total Pageviews

May 27, 2017

Today we celebrate:


National Grape Popsicle Day - Apparently popsicles were invented in 1905 when a child, Frank Epperson (age 11) did what all children do and didn’t clean up after himself. He left his beverage with a stirring stick outside on a cold night. But it turned out to be a great thing, so parents you should think about that the next time you tell your kids to clean up something. You could be ruining your child’s future accidental invention that could make millions of dollars. But this is not a day for all popsicles...only the grape ones...which everyone knows are the best flavor anyway.

Nothing To Fear Day - What are you afraid of? I don’t like to think about my fears very often, but every now and then we need to do that and figure out if our fears are stopping us from accomplishing our goals in life. Some fears are seriously debilitating and if you have any of those, you might need professional help to overcome them. If you have a fear of mental health professionals like Psychologists, Psychiatrists or Therapists, then you’re just toast and you’ll have to talk to your Great Aunt Bessie for some practical, down to earth advice on how to fix that little problem. But this is also a day to figure out where your fears are coming from.  Are they real? Or are you reacting to what you are hearing on the news? Because let me tell you right now, if you are paying too much attention to the news, you need to do some real research into those news stories, which all too often sensationalize things and make them seem like much bigger problems than they really are. They do that so people will watch the news because they need the ratings just like any other television show. “The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.” Thank you, President Franklin D. Roosevelt, for the appropriate comment.

Old-Time Player Piano Day - While I was able to find out more than I ever wanted to know about player pianos, I was not able to find out why today is a significant day for them. They were developed gradually by various people inventing improvements that built on the ideas of those who came before. It looks like a Frenchman by the name of Fourneaux created the original player piano in 1863 but it was improved upon by many until the 1920s when it had its’ peak. Sales dropped off after that, and then the Great Depression really put the kabosh on the whole industry. The only ones still interested after WWII were a few collectors who just loved them and put in the time and money to restore any that they found.

Sunscreen Day – This is a day to raise awareness of the importance of wearing sunscreen to protect your skin. It's also important to remember that you don't have to see the sun in order to be burned by the sun. I've gotten the worst sunburns of my life on cloudy days because those are the days you don't even think about needing sunscreen. Protect your skin and you will be less likely to get a melanoma.

Cellophane Tape Day – On this day in 1930, Richard Drew of the 3M company, received a patent for his invention of cellophane tape, also known as Scotch Tape or Invisible Tape or just Tape. I used to have a whole bunch of the stuff in my house after a trip to Costco four years ago.  I figured I would never have to buy more in my lifetime, but I didn’t factor my children into that equation. Now I’m constantly searching the house for whatever scraps remain. I don’t want to buy more because I know I must have more somewhere here. The kids couldn’t possibly have used all of it….could they? Assuming you don’t have my problem, see if you can find a new way of using it today besides the tried and true old present wrapping standby. Last year I amazed my teenager by using cellophane tape to remove lint from her black shirt. I don't know what shocked her more; that it worked, or that I knew something she didn't know.

Amateur Radio Military Appreciation Day – On this day Amateur Radio Operators from around the world are asked to team up to allow people from their local communities to gather in public areas and use the two way radio to verbally express their support and appreciation for members of the all branches of the military, and First Responders.

Julia Pierpont Day – Julia Pierpont is known for having the original idea for Memorial Day, which was first called Decoration Day, back in May of 1866. You can pay tribute today to Julia as well as our veterans by decorating veterans graves in order to prepare them for Memorial Day coming up in just two days.

International Jazz Day - On Saturday of Memorial Day weekend we are all about Jazz. Jazz music has been around for something like two hundred years. Its’ appeal has spread from sea to shining sea and beyond all the way around the world. Even people who say they don’t like Jazz, actually like Jazz. The best place to listen to it is, of course, New Orleans, Louisiana. This day is different from the one in April, which I believe is bigger but I can’t be sure of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment